Scarring and Disfigurement

Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Victims in Memphis and Beyond

When injuries have a permanent effect, the amount of damages that may be recovered in a personal injury lawsuit is likely to increase dramatically. Scarring and disfigurement injuries are often long-term or permanent, and they may cause a victim’s costs and losses to rise significantly. At Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz, we understand how painful and disturbing it may be to suffer scarring or disfigurement. Our Memphis personal injury attorneys represent accident victims throughout the South in a wide variety of claims, including those arising from truck accidents, motorcycle crashes, inadequate apartment safety, dog bites, and defective products. We have 30 attorneys with excellent credentials and over 100 staff members, which makes us the largest personal injury law firm based in Tennessee. Our lawyers represent people throughout Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Missouri.

Pursuing Compensation for Scarring and Disfigurement

Many scarring injuries are caused by someone else’s negligence. If so, you will need to establish that the defendant owed you a duty to behave in a safe manner, failed to do so, and in failing to do so caused your scars or disfigurement. For example, a truck driver who drives while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs may run a red light or overcorrect the vehicle, and if this causes you to suffer scarring or disfiguring injuries, you may be able to recover compensation from the truck driver and its employer based on theories of negligence.

Victims of accidents who suffer large and obvious scars or disfigurement in visible areas, such as facial scarring, can receive damages. Victims may still be able to recover damages for scarring in non-visible areas, even if they could be covered with clothes. Permanent scarring in visible areas can come with cosmetic embarrassment, and in some cases, the victim may also suffer a certain degree of immobility due to scar tissue.

You should make sure to receive medical care immediately after suffering injuries caused by someone else. Tennessee and other states follow the doctrine of mitigation of damages. This doctrine states that people injured by someone else’s wrongful or negligent acts are required to use reasonable efforts to minimize their losses. Sometimes scarring may be reduced through immediate, appropriate medical care. It is also critical to take photographs of your scarring in order to preserve that evidence.

It is also important to document any future damages you will sustain. A doctor’s opinion regarding whether you can have your scar removed and how much that would cost may help you prove that your scars or disfigurement necessitated future medical care. Sometimes, scarring will always be present, even if the future scar revision procedure is successful.

If you suffer a disfigurement that affects your head, face, or hands at work, you may be entitled to benefits for the scarring or disfigurement in a workers’ compensation case. In Tennessee, a serious disfigurement and nerve damage following surgical intervention, including a skin graft, may give rise to receiving workers’ compensation benefits in accordance with Tennessee law.

Consult an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney in the Memphis Area

We understand how much emotional distress victims may feel after suffering scars or disfigurement, and we have the ability to persuasively convey that distress to insurance companies and juries. People who suffer scarring or disfigurement should contact the Memphis personal injury lawyers at Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz. We can serve accident victims throughout Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Arkansas, including in Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Caruthersville, Hayti, Oxford, Starkville, Grenada, Columbus, Tupelo, Meridian, Jackson, Little Rock, and Jonesboro. Contact our office by calling 800-LAW-4004 or by completing our online form for a free consultation. We can help people who need a truck accident attorney or assistance with another personal injury claim.