Truck Accident Lawyer
Being involved in a truck accident can be a terrifying experience. Mississippi highways are teeming with large commercial trucks carrying products and goods to stores and warehouses across the state.
Sharing the roads with such large vehicles can be frightening, and getting into a car accident with a commercial truck can leave you with serious or long-term injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident near Columbus, the personal injury lawyers at NST Law can help. We will fight for you to get the maximum compensation you need and deserve, while you work to recover from your injuries and rebuild your life.
Table Of Contents
- Who Is Liable in a Truck Accident?
- What to Do After Being Involved in Truck Accident
- Proving Liability in a Truck Accident
- Determining Compensation in a Truck Accident Case
- Why hire a truck accident attorney?
- Statutes of Limitations for Truck Accident Injury Claims in Columbus
- Trust NST Law to Handle Your Truck Accident Claim
Who Is Liable in a Truck Accident?
The trucking industry is made up of many parties. Some or all of the parties involved may be responsible for a tractor-trailer accident. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, responsible parties could include:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The truck owner
- The shipping company
- Those who loaded the cargo
- The broker who coordinated the transport
The cause of the accident also factors into liability. Occasionally, defective parts, such as brakes or tires, could be to blame. That scenario may implicate the truck or parts manufacturers as well.
Other common causes of truck crashes include:
- Traffic flow interruptions like slow drivers or other vehicle accidents
- Truck drivers who are driving on unfamiliar roads
- Texting while driving
- Distracted driving
With so many potential defendants based on various causes, truck accident cases can quickly become complex. Truck accident victims need help from a law office with extensive truck accident experience and the resources to consult with qualified experts
Request a Free Case Evaluation
What to Do After Being Involved in Truck Accident
The moments immediately following a truck crash can be traumatic and confusing for anyone. To protect your well-being and your right to take legal action, do not admit any wrongdoing.
Steps to Take Following a Truck Crash
- Check yourself and any passengers for injuries
- Call 911 immediately if you discover injuries
- If able, move yourself and your vehicle to safety, out of the flow of traffic
- Call the police to report the accident
- While waiting for the authorities to arrive, exchange contact and insurance information with any other drivers involved
- Take photos of the crash scene as well as any property damage and injuries
- Ask for contact information from potential witnesses
- Report the accident to your insurance agent to start your claim
- Call a truck accident lawyer
It is important to note that Columbus municipal code requires drivers involved in motor vehicle accidents to remain at the scene of the accident.
Proving Liability in a Truck Accident
Proving fault in a truck accident is no easy task. An experienced truck accident lawyer will thoroughly investigate your accident to determine who the various responsible parties may be.
Items your lawyer may use to prove fault include:
- Truck service hour logs
- The driver’s personnel file
- Maintenance and inspection records
- Black box data from the truck
- Tollbooth and fuel receipts
- The police accident report
- Cell phone records
- Available surveillance footage
The experienced truck accident lawyers at NST Law have access to extensive investigative resources. We can use our findings to prove liability and build a strong truck accident claim for you. Although most personal injury cases settle in negotiations, preparing a case strong enough to present at trial gives us a firm position from which to negotiate. We have the ability and wherewithal to conduct a thorough investigation, consult with the necessary experts, and prepare your case as if it may go to trial. We routinely litigate complex trucking accident cases against large insurance companies.
Determining Compensation in a Truck Accident Case
An accident with a commercial truck can alter your life in the blink of an eye. Truck accident injuries range from broken and fractured bones to debilitating head and spinal cord injuries, disfigurement and death.
You may worry about how you’ll make a living to provide for yourself and your family as you watch your medical bills mount and your bank accounts dwindle.
A Columbus truck accident lawyer from NST Law will look at the facts surrounding your case to determine an amount of compensation that will be fair to you.
Compensation is generally based on the amount of loss a victim suffers because of the crash and can include money for:
- Past and future accident-related medical expenses
- Lost income or earning potential
- Property damage repair
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
Accidents that involve commercial vehicles are often catastrophic. If you or a loved one has been injured, a personal injury attorney will answer your questions and assist you in putting your life back together.
Why hire a truck accident attorney?
A personal injury lawyer with experience in truck accident claims can be a valuable resource for you as you pursue justice.
NST Law can help you in the following ways:
- Provide a free case review and offer legal advice on how to best move forward
- Use our extensive resources to investigate your accident and identify all responsible parties
- Use the assistance of medical professionals to determine future medical needs and expenses, based on your injuries and prognosis
- Negotiate with multiple insurance companies that may be involved
- File your personal injury case and represent you in a trial, if negotiations are not successful
Well-qualified truck accident lawyers have experience dealing with the complex legal issues that are common in truck accident injury claims.
Statutes of Limitations for Truck Accident Injury Claims in Columbus
The statute of limitations in Mississippi allows an accident victim three years from the date of their injury to begin legal proceedings.
If you do not file your lawsuit within the statute of limitations, you will lose your right to sue for compensation.
Trust NST Law to Handle Your Truck Accident Claim
The truck accident lawyers at NST Law are equipped to handle the specific and complex issues that make commercial vehicle cases different from car accident cases.
We are happy to offer free case evaluations to see if we can help you. You won’t pay anything to our law firm unless we recover damages for you. Our main goal is to help our clients obtain the maximum amount of compensation they need and deserve.
We want to help you put your accident behind you, so you can move forward with your life. Contact The Champs today.
Contact us for a free consultation now so that we can review your case and decide how we can best help you.