"Call the Champs!"
Nahon, Saharovich, & Trotz
Close this search box.

Memphis Car Accident FAQs

At Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz, we are the largest personal injury firm based in Tennessee. We serve victims and their families injured in car accidents throughout Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Missouri. Our Memphis personal injury lawyers work diligently to prepare cases so that we are ready to try them in court if settlement negotiations stall. Over the last 25+ years, we have recovered over $1.5 billion in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients. We answer our phones 24/7 and can meet with you at any location of your choice.

If you have been involved in an automobile accident, you probably have many questions about your rights and options. Here is some basic information with which you can start. Please be aware that each situation is different, however, and it is important to consult an experienced injury attorney to discuss your specific circumstances in detail.

Q: What is my car accident case worth in Memphis?

A: Under Tennessee law, if you are injured in a car accident, you may recover both economic and non-economic damages if you are able to establish liability. The amount varies depending on your tangible losses, as well as the intangible losses that naturally result from that type of harm. In Tennessee, economic damages may include medical costs, lost wages, lost earning capacity, household services, and vocational rehabilitation. Non-economic damages may include loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment, mental anguish, and pain and suffering. Our firm has the resources to consult with and retain experts as needed to develop the damages portion of your case.

Q: Should I see a doctor after a car accident?

A: If you are involved in a car accident in the greater Memphis area or Shelby County, you should obtain medical attention at one of the local medical facilities or emergency rooms. In some cases, injuries are not immediately apparent, but it is important to be evaluated by a medical professional anyway. There may be internal injuries that you cannot see. The medical professional can advise you about whether there are any serious injuries and whether you should take time off work to rest and recover.

Q: How soon must I bring my claim in Tennessee?

A: In Tennessee, the statute of limitation for a car accident case is generally one year after the date of the accident. Once you suspect that you may have been hurt due to the careless or wrongful conduct of someone else, you should immediately consult an experienced attorney to make sure that you are not prevented from bringing your claim.

Q: In Tennessee, can I recover compensation even if an accident was partially my fault?

A: Tennessee law follows a rule of modified comparative negligence, where you may receive some compensation if you were less than 50% at fault for the accident. Under Tennessee’s modified comparative negligence rule the total damages will be determined, and percentages of liability will be assigned to each party found to be at fault. Your damages will be reduced by your percentage of responsibility. However, in Tennessee, if you were 50 percent or more responsible for the accident, you are barred from recovering compensation. This rule is also followed in Arkansas. By contrast, Kentucky, Missouri, and Mississippi follow the rule of pure comparative negligence, under which you may recover compensation as long as you were not completely responsible for causing the accident.

Q: Whom do I sue to recover my losses if I am injured in a car accident in Tennessee?

A: In Tennessee there are a number of potential parties you may sue if you are in a car accident, depending on whose negligence or misconduct may have contributed to your injuries. The parties may include the driver, the driver’s employer (if driving a commercial vehicle or on the clock), the vehicle owner, the manufacturer of a defective auto part, or the state or locality responsible for the road design and maintenance.

In a car accident case in Memphis involving an uninsured driver or a hit and run driver, you may need to turn to your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to recover your losses. This may put you in an adversarial position against your insurer. While you are trying to establish the other driver’s liability, your insurance company may be trying to establish your liability to avoid paying your damages. An experienced attorney can make a difference in your case.

Q: What do I need to prove in order to succeed after a car accident in Memphis?

A: Under Tennessee law to recover from a defendant, you need prove fault, e.g. negligence, recklessness or willful behavior, in your damages, as well as the damages themselves. Most car accident cases revolve around negligence, which is the failure to act reasonably under the circumstances. In Tennessee, common forms of negligence include distracted driving, texting while driving, disregarding traffic signals, speeding, and driving while drunk or intoxicated.

In most personal injury cases, you will need to prove your case by a preponderance of the evidence. Generally, this means that your version of events is more likely true than not.

Q: Will I need to go to court to recover damages in a car accident case?

A: You may need to go to court if your car accident case does not settle. Most personal injury cases do settle eventually, but more complex cases involving multiple parties or significant injuries may take longer to resolve. In cases in which an insurer or defendant does not make a fair settlement offer, we can file suit and try your case to a jury. If your case reaches a jury trial, you probably will need to go to court to testify about what happened and the damages that you suffered as a result of the defendant’s actions.

Q: What should I do if I cannot afford an attorney to handle my car accident case?

A: We handle car accident and personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we only receive our fee if we collect monetary damages on your behalf, and the fee comes out of the recovery.

Q: Should I accept a check from the driver who caused the car accident or their insurer?

A: No, you should not sign a release or accept a check from someone at fault for your injuries or their insurer until you have consulted an attorney. Accepting a check may be considered a settlement that precludes you from pursuing further action against a negligent party or their insurer. In many situations, the full extent of the injuries after a serious accident is not known for months or even a year after the accident, and thus you may not know whether you need surgery or other expensive treatments right away. Some insurers offer a low-ball settlement immediately to try to avoid the potential for exposure to greater damages later. It is important to have your case evaluated by an experienced attorney before talking to an insurer.

Discuss Your Auto Accident Case with Our Lawyers

No matter your circumstances, the Memphis car accident attorneys at Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz can evaluate whether you may have a case. Our team of over 30 lawyers and 120 support staff members is committed to handling cases from start to finish. We represent injured people in Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Jonesboro, Little Rock, Jackson, Meridian, Tupelo, Columbus, Grenada, Starkville, Oxford, Hayti, Cape Girardeau, Caruthersville, and Paducah, as well as other communities in Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Missouri. Contact our office toll-free by calling 800-529-4004 or by using our online form to set up a free consultation. NST is the way to go.

Our Memphis Offices
Main Memphis OFFICE

488 S. Mendenhall Road Memphis, TN 38117

Phone: 901-683-7000

Fax: 901-462-3350

Whitehaven Office

4466 Elvis Presley Blvd

Suite 143
Memphis, TN 38116

Phone: 901-300-2400
Fax: 901-462-3350

- Climas B.
Read More
"They stayed with my case until everything was resolved. My situation was complicated and they ensured things were in check from start to finish."
- Vicki L.
Read More
"From start to finish it was a good experience. They listened and handled my case with compassion and care. I highly recommend them."
- Tasha S.
Read More
"I was involved in a auto accident with my mother and she suggested NST to handle the case for us. Everything was handled professionally and in a timely manner."
Client Successes
Obtained in tractor-trailer accident case for a husband and wife that suffered traumatic injuries.
Recovered in car accident case against construction company in which our client suffered a traumatic brain injury.
Received for a woman injured in car accident while on the job, who sustained numerous fractures and underwent several surgeries.
Content Reviewer Box for A. Parker Trotz with his awards and credentials