Meridian Driver Fatigue Car Accidents
Have you ever dozed off while driving or driven when you were too tired to do so? If so, you are not alone. In fact, 6 out of every 10 adult drivers admit to driving while feeling drowsy, and more than 3 out of 10 admit to falling asleep while driving at times. This means that millions of drowsy drivers are behind the wheel each day, causing countless motor vehicle crashes. If you have been injured in a driver fatigue car accident, call our Meridian car accident attorneys today for a free case evaluation. Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz is a large personal injury law firm dedicated to providing injured victims with the individual care they deserve in their time of need.Holding a Fatigued Driver Responsible for Your Bodily Injuries
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that more than 100,000 crashes are caused by drowsy drivers each year in the United States. These crashes result in more than 1,500 fatalities, 71,000 injured victims, and over $12 billion in monetary losses.
If you have been involved in an accident and suspect that the at-fault driver fell asleep behind the wheel or was driving drowsy, it is important that you contact an experienced attorney to begin working on your case immediately. Driver fatigue car accidents are typically just as dangerous as drunk driving accidents; however, it is much more difficult to prove a driver was tired than to prove he or she was intoxicated. There is no test such as breathalyzer to measure fatigue levels, so you may have to rely on the testimony of eyewitnesses and other evidence to prove that fatigue or drowsiness caused the accident. The auto injury attorneys at NST can assist you in gathering the necessary evidence to prove the other driver’s fatigue caused the collision and your losses.
In order to recover for your injuries following a driver fatigue car accident in Meridian or Lauderdale County, you will need to show that the fatigued driver’s negligence caused the crash. This will allow you to seek monetary compensation for your economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include medical bills, lost wages, vehicle repair costs, and any other losses that have a specific monetary value.
For example, if another driver dozed off and swerved into your lane of traffic at the intersection of 39th Avenue and 8th Street, and you had to be rushed to Anderson Regional Medical Center, you can pursue reimbursement for the medical bills you incurred as a result of the crash. Medical bills can include emergency room treatment, prescriptions, physical therapy, and other courses of treatment prescribed by a physician. Non-economic damages, on the other hand, include those losses that do not have a specific monetary value, such as disfigurement, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and loss of enjoyment of life.
In Mississippi, you generally have three years from the date of the accident to sue for any bodily injuries sustained in a car accident or to settle the claim out of court, or your claim will expire. An exception applies if your car accident involved a Mississippi governmental entity. Our motor vehicle accident lawyers are familiar with the relevant statutes of limitation and other cutoff dates that may apply to a Meridian car accident case and can help make sure that you do not lose out on your right to recover merely due to missing an important legal deadline.
You should contact an attorney to discuss your case even if the other driver tries to blame you for the crash. Mississippi is a pure comparative negligence state, meaning that you may seek recovery for your injuries even if you bear some degree of fault for the accident. Suppose you are ultimately deemed 20% at fault for the accident and the fatigued driver is held to be 80% at fault. In this case, your recovery will be reduced by your comparative negligence – here by 20%. The other driver will be responsible for the 80% of fault that is attributed to him or her. Part of our firm’s job in representing a Meridian auto accident victim is gathering evidence, identifying the other driver’s negligence, and minimizing comparative fault allegations against our client.Discuss Your Car Crash Claim with a Meridian Attorney
If you have suffered injuries in a driver fatigue car accident, call Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz today. We have more than 30 automobile accident attorneys and 100 support staff members available to assist you when you call. To date, we have recovered more than $1.5 billion in compensation for our clients and their loved ones in cities across the South, including Meridian, Tupelo, Oxford, Jackson, Corinth, Starkville, and Ripley. Let us work diligently to help get you the compensation you deserve. Call us toll-free at 800-529-4004 or complete our online form to set up a free consultation today with a Meridian lawyer.