Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
A spinal cord injury can happen in an instant, and it can change your life forever. These injuries can have debilitating effects on the body and require a lifetime of medical care. The medical expenses associated with the treatment and care of this injury may be astronomical. The Nashville spinal cord injury attorneys at NST Law are committed to obtaining justice for the injured.
A spinal cord injury may change the life of an injured victim and those of the person’s family, friends, and colleagues. Everyone around the victim must adapt to the new “normal” of a catastrophic injury that may result in partial or total paralysis, confining the victim to a wheelchair or other mobility aids.
If another party’s negligence led to your spinal cord injury, you shouldn’t take your injury lightly. You also shouldn’t have to bear the brunt of any accident-related costs. Considering the significant costs associated with living with spinal cord injury, it’s normal for victims to have financial worries.
In many spinal cord injury accidents, the victim doesn’t share any blame for their injuries or damages. When this happens, the injured victim has the right to seek compensation under Tennessee law.
If an accident in the Nashville, TN, area has caused you to sustain a spinal cord injury, reach out to the reliable injury attorneys at NST Law. We are champions for the injured all across Tennessee. Learn more about your options now.
Table Of Contents
- Why Choose NST Law for Your Nashville Spinal Injury Case?
- What Are the Common Accidents That Cause Spinal Injuries in Nashville?
- Who Can You Hold Accountable for a Nashville Spinal Cord Injury?
- How Can a Spinal Cord Injury Change Your Life?
- Potential Damages in a Spinal Cord Injury Claim
- How Can a Nashville Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Help?
- Need a Nashville Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer?
Why Choose NST Law for Your Nashville Spinal Injury Case?
- Our Tennessee law firm has been committed to helping personal injury victims since 1990, representing plaintiffs for over 30 years.
- Our lawyers have recovered over $2 billion for injured victims and their families.
- Our firm has over 175 team members ready to help you with your spinal cord injury claim.
- Our Nashville personal injury attorneys are experienced in all types of injury claims, including auto accidents, truck and 18-wheeler crashes, workers’ compensation, premises liability, negligent security, medical malpractice, and wrongful death.
- Our firm prioritizes giving back to the community.
- Our injury law firm operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning attorney fees are paid once victims secure fair settlements.
- Our firm makes it easier for injured victims to access our sound legal services with offices throughout Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Mississippi.
Worried about how you’ll get to our offices with your injury? Don’t fret. We’ll come to you.
What Are the Common Accidents That Cause Spinal Injuries in Nashville?
A spinal cord injury is damage to any part of the spinal nerves or cord due to permanent changes in sensation, strength, and other body functions at the end of the spinal canal. A sudden, traumatic jolt or blow to the spine may cause this type of injury.
Every year, thousands of Tennessee residents sustain back and spinal cord injuries. Many of these catastrophic injuries are due to preventable accidents, including:
- Auto accidents
- Truck accidents
- Construction accidents
- Slips and falls
- Negligent security
- Falling objects
- Pedestrian accidents
- Recreational injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Workplace accidents
Regardless of the cause of the spinal cord injury, injured victims may face a long, complex, and expensive road to full recovery. To secure a fair spinal cord injury settlement for your injury and damages, enlist the services of an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Who Can You Hold Accountable for a Nashville Spinal Cord Injury?
After an accident, you need to prove that someone else’s negligence led to your injuries and damages. To do this, you must establish liability, directly connecting the defendant’s actions to your accident and spinal cord injury.
To establish liability, you must prove these four elements:
- Duty of care: The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- Breach of duty: They violated that duty through negligent actions or failure to act.
- Causation: Their breach was the primary cause of your spinal cord injury.
- Damages: You sustained damages, such as lost wages and medical bills, resulting from the spinal injury.
Various parties can breach their duty of care leading to your spinal cord injury, including (but not limited to):
- A negligent driver who causes a traffic collision
- A surgeon who injures your spinal cord during an operation
- A landlord who disregards maintaining their property or fails to repair hazardous conditions
- A manufacturer of consumer products who puts defective products on the market
Tennessee allows spinal cord injury victims to receive compensation for injuries and other losses if their share of fault is less than 50 percent. If your fault is 50 percent or more, you won’t be eligible to receive any compensation. To ensure you receive fair compensation, you should seek a law firm with the resources to properly investigate the accident, speak with witnesses, and preserve relevant evidence.
How Can a Spinal Cord Injury Change Your Life?
After sustaining a spinal cord injury in Nashville, you may have to adjust your everyday way of life and adapt to the changes that result from your accident.
The changes you may experience include:
- Loss of sensation
- Inability to control body parts around the injury
- Permanent loss of mobility
- Loss of sexual function
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Oddly twisted back or neck
- Breathing problems
- Chronic back or neck pain
- Unusual lumps along the spine
Living with a spinal cord injury can undoubtedly be a challenging situation for anyone. This injury may affect every aspect of your life — from your work and livelihood to your relationships with family and friends — and putting your life back in order can be tough. With the right medical team, you will learn to adapt to and even thrive in your new way of life.
But getting there can put a strain on your finances. People who sustain spinal cord injuries may require wheelchairs or other mobility assistance aids, home modifications, constant care, and other devices to help them with their daily activities. These are the types of medical expenses for which your spinal cord injury lawyer will demand compensation.
Potential Damages in a Spinal Cord Injury Claim
When calculating a spinal cord injury settlement, your lawyer may classify damages as economic or non-economic.
Economic damages represent losses that have a set monetary value. These financial burdens will be fairly easy to estimate with receipts and include:
- Medical bills for surgery, medication, rehab, and hospital bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
Non-economic damages are emotional and psychological losses that are subjective. These damages are harder to quantify, and they include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
In rare cases, you may receive a punitive award for your injury. This type of compensation is awarded during a spinal cord injury lawsuit if the defendant’s actions were particularly egregious or malicious, such as drunk driving.
Tennessee courts may impose punitive damages to serve as an example to the general public.
How Can a Nashville Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Help?
If you or someone you care about has suffered a spinal cord injury, contact NST Law to discuss your case with a compassionate spinal injury lawyer in Nashville. Our legal team is prepared to protect your rights throughout the claims process.
Here’s how our Nashville spinal cord injury lawyers can help:
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation to ascertain whether there was any form of negligence
- Carefully review your medical records to determine the severity and extent of your spinal injury and how it has affected your daily life
- Consult medical professionals to estimate your future medical expenses
- Determine the value of your spinal injury claim
- Negotiate with insurers to secure a fair spinal cord injury settlement that covers all your damages
- Manage all paperwork, deadlines, and filing requirements for your claim
- File a spinal cord injury lawsuit if the insurance company fails to offer a fair settlement
Our spinal cord injury lawyers in Nashville will also answer any questions regarding your claim, offer you sound legal advice, handle negotiations on your behalf, and regularly update you regarding the progress of your case. We take pride in delivering the highest level of client service and maintain consistent communication with our clients. We are here to always look out for your best interests throughout the legal process.
Need a Nashville Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer?
If your spine damage was caused by the negligent, irresponsible, careless, or reckless actions of another, you should never have to cover the expenses you incur due to the injury. During such a time, there’s only one place to turn to — NST Law.
Our injury law firm has an experienced legal team ready to handle your case, regardless of how intricate it might be.
Call our Nashville spinal cord injury lawyers at 615-777-7777 to schedule your free case review. Let us protect your rights and interests.