Starkville Bus Accidents
Bus accidents encompass a variety of vehicles and situations. Private buses, such as tour buses, school buses, charter buses, may be involved, or a crash could involve a S.M.A.R.T. (Starkville-MSU Area Rapid Transit) bus. Any of these types of vehicles may collide with another bus, a passenger vehicle such as a car or truck, a commercial vehicle such as a big rig, a motorcycle, or a pedestrian. If you have been injured in a bus accident in Starkville or the surrounding area, call Nahon, Saharovich & Trotz today to speak with a Starkville bus accident attorney. Our law firm is dedicated to fighting for maximum recovery for bus accident victims, providing compassionate care and individual attention throughout the legal process.Recovering for Medical Bills and Other Expenses After a Bus Accident in Starkville
If you have been injured in a bus accident and can prove the negligence of one or more parties, you should be able to pursue a claim for your bodily injuries and seek compensation for vehicle repair costs, medical bills, lost wages, lost future earnings, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium that may apply to your situation. Mississippi law requires motorists to carry liability insurance for this purpose. Specifically, drivers must carry at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily injury liability insurance coverage. Commercial vehicles typically carry insurance coverage with significantly higher limits.
Like interstate truck drivers, federal trucking regulations apply to many commercial bus drivers. Bus companies should be aware of these rules and ensure drivers meet licensing standards and are properly trained. Failure to do so could expose the bus company to liability for inadequate training or negligence. A bus accident lawyer in Starkville can help a victim bring this type of claim.
Sometimes fault is undisputed and can be easily proven after a collision. For instance, maybe a school bus rear-ended another vehicle. Maybe another vehicle ran a stop sign and collided with the bus. In those cases, it will be easier to determine which party to pursue for your injuries and losses. However, in many cases, liability may not be so clear. Perhaps each driver blames the other driver for causing it. Maybe their descriptions of the accident differ. Without clear evidence of fault, the liability insurance carrier could deny your claim, leaving you with a mountain of unpaid medical bills and wage loss. In these situations, it is especially important to seek the advice of an experienced bus accident attorney in the Starkville area who can investigate the wreck, speak with eyewitnesses, and gather evidence to help you prove fault.
What happens if drivers point the finger at each other after the wreck? Mississippi is a pure comparative fault jurisdiction, which means that a percentage of blame may be attributed to each vehicle in a bus crash. Fault may be equal or 50/50, or one driver may be more at fault than the other. If one party is 80% at fault for the accident and the other driver is 20% at fault, then you could pursue claims against each driver for his portion of fault. Even if you are one of the at-fault parties, you can seek recovery from the other at-fault party for his percentage of fault in the accident. Legal counsel can help you sort out fault and determine which party or parties you can pursue and what you may be able to recover under Mississippi law based on your individual circumstances.Discuss Your Bus Accident Claim with a Starkville Bus Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in any type of bus crash, whether it be a tour bus, a public transit bus, a charter bus, or a school bus, call our office today so that one of our bus wreck attorneys can evaluate your claim and investigate potential claims against all responsible parties. NST has more than 30 years of experience pursuing personal injury claims against big insurance companies, and we have a skilled team of more than 30 lawyers and 120 staff members assisting injured parties in Starkville, Columbus, Tupelo, Jackson, Meridian, and throughout Mississippi. Call us toll-free at 800-529-4004 or visit our online form for a free consultation with one of our auto accident lawyers. NST is the way to go.